1. Put yourself first. For me this was definitely the hardest thing I had to learn how to do. I am one of those people who always puts others before myself, which is good sometimes, but not all the time. Learning to make yourself a priority is one of the most important lessons you can learn.
2. Find an exercise regime that works for you. For some that will be yoga, or going to the gym everyday, and for others it will be playing a sport. Find what you enjoy doing and do that. Your body will thank you.
3. People think about you less than you think they do. Everyone is so concerned what others think of them, afraid that they are judging them. They aren’t. People are so consumed with their own life that they rarely have time to think about yours. Go do that thing you have been wanting to do but haven’t because you’re scared of what others think. Screw what they think.
4. You will regret not trying more than you will regret trying and failing. Don’t spend your life wondering what could have been. You only get so many years, spend them doing what you want. Make sure when you’re on your death bed you can honestly say you have no regrets.
“The biggest poison in us is regret” -Gary Vaynerchuk
5. Start a savings account. Or a piggy bank. Whichever you prefer, just start saving your money. It doesn’t matter if you don’t know what you are saving for yet, one day you will be glad you have some money stashed away. Either for an emergency, or simply because you want to want to buy a car.
6. Forgive people. Not necessarily because they deserve your forgiveness, but because you do. Holding onto a grudge will only bring you down and negatively affect your life. Forgive them and move on.
7. Forgive yourself. No one is perfect. We all make mistakes. And often times we are harder on ourselves than we should be. Accept that you have made mistakes, and you will make many more, and forgive yourself. Making mistakes is how we learn.
8. Use your voice. Find a worthy cause that you believe in and voice your opinion. Don’t go through life so passively.
9. Don’t drunk text. I promise you will regret it in the morning. It usually creates more problems than it solves.
10. Explore your passions. I say passions plural because I don’t believe that we only have one passion in life. I have been passionate about many different things during different stages in my life. So find what you are passionate about right now and pour everything you have into that.
11. Make an effort with the people in your life. Life gets busy and we can tend to drift away from some of our friends and family. Make sure you go out of your way to spend time with them. The people you have in your life are what make life so much better. Be there for them when they need you, and let them be there for you when you need them.
12. Know that it is okay to fall apart. In our society today, everything is about the hustle. Which is great that we are all so motivated to want to do more and be better, but it can be detrimental to our mental health. It is okay to feel down and need a day off from everything. If you need to crawl under the covers and sleep all day, that’s okay. Just make sure you get up the next day and try your best.
13. Take care of your mental health. Taking care of your mental health is as important as taking care of your physical health. This is so important and something we often neglect. Find a self-care routine that works for you and do it regularly.
14. Cut out the negative people from your life and surround yourself with good people. Cutting people out of your life is never easy. But sometimes it is very necessary. You become like the people that you spend the most time with. So chose your circle carefully.
15. Be open. Be open to new adventures, new opportunities, new friends, or new ideas. Wonderful things can happen when you have an open mind.
16. Sometimes things just don’t work out no matter how much you want them to. Accept this and move on.
17. Know when to walk away. Recognize when a relationship no longer serves you. If you are constantly giving more than the other person is, it will never work out. Know what you want from a relationship and never settle for less.
18. Learn how to be comfortable being alone. You need to be alone in order to learn who you really are. Without being influenced by another person. Spend time with yourself. Read more books. Sit in coffee shops by yourself. Travel alone. Get to know yourself.
19. Stay true to your beliefs. It is easy to be influenced by others around us. To be pressured into doing something we don’t want to. Stick to your core values no matter what others say.
20. Be kind to others. Do not let cruel people make you cruel. Make a conscious effort to be nice to people. Compliment people. Tell people you appreciate them. Nothing bad ever came from being nice, and you never know whose day you will make.
21. Try everything at least once. Don’t write something off before you try it. You never know until you try.
22. Do more of what makes you happy.